A vital sector and a major indicator of the state's economic status, agriculture remains the mainstay of Odisha's economy and sustenance of the life of the people.
Team Orissa has taken it upon itself to galvanise the agricultural sector to transform the state's economy. A comprehensive Agricultural Policy has been drawn up to accord industry status to the sector and make it a major force in building up a futuristic Odisha.
Incidentally, agriculture and Animal Husbandry contributed 25.75% of the Net Domestic Product of the state in 2004-05 at 1993-94 prices and provided employment directly or indirectly to around 65% of the total work force as per 2001 Census. The per-capita availability of cultivated land that was 0.39 ha in 1950-51 has declined to 0.15 ha. in 2004-05.
The State Agriculture Policy 1996 aims at doubling the production of food grains and oil seeds, generation of adequate employment opportunities in the rural sector and eradication of rural poverty within a specific time frame. The main objectives set out in the State agriculture Policy 1996 are:
- To enhance the status of Agriculture from the present level of a subsistence one to a profitable and commercial venture, so that young persons can accept agriculture as a means of self employment
- To generate adequate employment opportunities
- To adopt integrated programmes for water logging, soil erosion, dry/rain fed areas, areas under shifting cultivation, waste land, saline and alkaline soil etc.
- To encourage entrepreneurship in the field of agriculture and horticulture
- To create skilled labour for management of modern agriculture
- To help mechanization of agriculture to increase productivity
- To establish Agro-based and Food Processing Industries
- To provide irrigation facilities to 50% of cultivable land through completion of incomplete irrigation projects and promotion of individual and group irrigation projects
- To promote private enterprise in the marketing of agricultural produces
- To identify and promote thrust crops in different agro-climatic zones of the state
Cropping Pattern of Principal Crops in Orissa (Figures in percentage)